HollyDeanArtist: Often Medieval in Mood: 'HERBOOK'

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

'HERBOOK'

I have started on an 'Herb Book' for my new series of art. There will be paintings, sculpture, assemblages, books and anything else I can come up with - all with the theme of Herbs. Of course, the theme may not always be directly evident and there will definitely be some medieval twists to the series.
I started with a piece of ripped cotton rag, then added old book pages, tissue, printed images, vellum, paint, water soluble crayon, distress inks, found objects and interesting elements. I used matte medium, white glue and thread to attach various items.
This is the back of the above page. The same process was followed, with the addition of a tea bag embeded in a 'cocoon' of spun bound non-woven fabric (Lutradur or Stitch Witchery) distressed with inks and paint. Stitching, lettering and drawing is used to create layers and I am sticking to natural colours for an organic look.
By fusing cloth, paper and tissue the pages become strong and somewhat stiff - especially when two sided. Eventually I will decide how to bind this book. Or will it hang instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails